Friday, January 27, 2012

TGIF --- Buy or Borrow ????

I think I'm liking this whole TGIF thing......   and I appreciate that Ginger over at GReads hosts and has a question for us every week.   This week's question is:  Buy or Borrow:  Where do your books that you read come from?  The bookstore?  The library?  Do you prefer to own a book, or have it on loan?  

I'm a librarian, so I do get most of my books from the library.  Because I order books for part of our collection, I'm always looking at journals, reviews, etc -- so I'm always filling up my tbr (to be read) list with new books.   Plus, just walking around here, I see books on the different displays that catch my eye.   I'm also a big believer in the "try before you buy" way of doing things.

I don't buy a lot of books for two reasons:  1) I don't have a lot of extra money to spend (Librarians don't typically make a ton of money) and 2) I don't necessarily want to own every book I read.     I read a lot, and if I really, really love a book and want it for myself, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I can always check it out from the library again.

When I buy books, I try to always go through my local independent bookstore (we've got a great one with two locations near me), or I browse at the local used books store.   I also really like Book Depository UK because I can get my favorite British author's books, with free shipping.   I also sometimes get a free copy of a book from a publisher, author, or LibraryThing, which is always a treat.

So, that's my story.  What's yours?  

6 comments:

Amanda Makepeace said...

I admit, I buy more than I borrow, but I do get many of my books from publishers and giveaways too. We've also been visiting the library less often since my daughter wiped out their YA section. I do have my eye on a new independent bookstore in Athens. We don't have many bookstores out here in the country!

Alexa S. said...

I want to use my public library more, since it's such a great resource! My wallet needs a break :)

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Libraries are the best...free and they store the books for you!!!

Annette Mills said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm a new follower...love finding other librarian bloggers!

Jen said...

I'm glad there's some library love from everyone!!!!

LupLun said...

Lot of librarians on this hop, aren't there? Go where your audience is, I suppose...

-LupLun
Shooting for the Moon

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison