Friday, January 20, 2012

TGIF -- Book Recommendations

Happy Friday!   Another week has somehow whipped by.... and today, I'm sitting at home waiting for the snow to begin so I can start planning my shoveling strategy.  Yes, fun, fun, fun.   But, I'm also planning on some quality time snugged on the couch with a book.   That way, I can have a little relaxation time before I have to go to work tomorrow.


But anyway -- the whole point is:  It's Friday!  And it's TGIF at GReads, too!  This Friday's question is:  Which book from the last 10 you've read would you recommend to a friend?


I'm actually going to recommend two today, one nonfiction and one fiction.


Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil         yes, a book about olive oil. It's more interesting than you might think --- I use a lot of olive oil when I cook, and I learned a lot.    And, it has a pretty even pace, so it reads like fiction (in other words, it's not a dry, boring book).


   And, I'm also recommending this book, which I'm about 1/4 of the way through, and really enjoying:


The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.   I started this book the other night and I'm loving it so far -- it's imaginative and full of dry humor, and I like the main character.


   Here's the summary (courtesy of GoodReads):  "The body you are wearing used to be mine." So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her.
She soon learns that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Chequy that battles the many supernatural forces at work in Britain. She also discovers that she possesses a rare, potentially deadly supernatural ability of her own.
In her quest to uncover which member of the Chequy betrayed her and why, Myfanwy encounters a person with four bodies, an aristocratic woman who can enter her dreams, a secret training facility where children are transformed into deadly fighters, and a conspiracy more vast than she ever could have imagined.
Have a wonderful Friday -- and a great weekend!!!!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've heard great things about Extra Virginity. I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for visiting!

Jennifer

Tanya Patrice said...

I mentioned on my blog yesterday that I was looking forward to The Rook - I can't wait to see your review of it.

Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind said...

Adding Extra Virginity to my nonfiction TBR! Also, I've never heard of The Rook before but it sound really fantastic! I'll wait for your review when you finish to see if I should check it out :)

Reading In Winter said...

I love that you recommend a book about olive oil! I adore books about food ... and olive oil seems pretty safe. I read Chocolat and craved chocolate the whole time!

Happy TGIF! :)

Kris (Words That Fly) said...

Wow, the Rook looks like it's a pretty amazing read. I'm adding it to my wishlist right now.

Anonymous said...

Ok I love the book on Olive Oil. Huge foodie myself. I've been meaning to do Blood, Bones, and Butter forever. Reading about the history/real life of it all is very cool...It just usually makes me hungry!

Alexa S. said...

The Rook sounds amazing. Off to check it out now :)

Jo K said...

The Rooks sounds great! I'm adding it to my TBR.

TC said...

Ooh, The Rook sounds promising. I wish we would get some snow, after two winters where we actually had some I'm still waiting and it's not looking hopeful.

Gloria e Rogerio said...

We love your blog is wonderful and we are always here.
We wish you a great Sunday.
Kisses Glorinha
http://sbrincos.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison