Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Causing a Kerfuffle.....

I don't usually write about things outside the world of books (maybe once in a while...), but I figured I'd mention something that's not that big, and yet has had a somewhat large-ish impact on my daily life.   Crosby.

This is Crosby.  He's a 7-month-old (or so we think), new Zealand Red rabbit.  Cute, huh?   Yes.   But.....

We already have 4 bunnies that we share our house with.  They're paired off -- so we have 2 in one room, and 2 in another (yes, each pair gets their own room) -- and we have a big "family room" downstairs, that both pairs rotate through so they can all have more "out time."   Well, a cute as he is, Crosby has thrown a bit of a wrench into the routine.   We didn't plan to have him ---- but, to make a long story short, he needed to be rescued from a really bad situation.  His previous people didn't educate themselves about rabbits, and were putting him outside in a cage on their balcony during the day (yes, in the COLD), and then bringing him in at night ... only to stuff in him in a cat carrier to sleep.  Needless to say, we stepped in and took him (his people wanted to give him away, and a friend of ours is their neighbor).  So, now, Crosby is set up in the family room, in a nice, big pen (he's also been to the vet twice, and was "tutored" last week).   And, he's a lot of fun -- we let him out for hours at a time so he can run around (REALLY run), and he's friendly, and cute.....

and the other bunnies are quite put out.   Displeased, so to speak.  Definitely disapproving.  We had Crosby safely in his pen, and had a meet-and-greet with the 2 pairs....  and although he's quite friendly, the other 4.... are not.   We've come up with a bit of a solution now, which moves Crosby to another area so the pairs can go back to their regularly scheduled routine....  but of course, I still need to work in Crosby's own "out time", as well.   Needless to say, the whole new-foster-bunny situation has caused everything to be thrown a bit out of whack (I find I'm reading less, because when Crosby is running around, he's quite distracting.  In a good way, of course).

We're hoping that someone will adopt him soon --- although we love having him at the house, it will be extremely tricky to "triple" him with one of the other pairs, and frankly, as fond as I've grown of him, I know he'd be a wonderful bunny for someone else. He's in the House Rabbit Network now, so if you're curious, you can look him up.  Please note: House Rabbit screens potential adopters very carefully --- so don't worry that he's going to be given away to just anyone.   In the meantime, I'm reading a bit less, but having some interesting adventures.

But, back to my regularly scheduled programming tomorrow --- a Wordless Wednesday is in the works, and a review is ready for Thursday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, he's a cutie :)

Ranee said...

I can't believe someone would mistreat this cutie! I loved my bun when I had him and the thought of keeping him outside in the cold makes me want to slap Crosby's owners. Love the name by the way. If only we could get the kids a bun for Christmas. I'm sure our pup would love a playmate. Pongo used to love my parent's dog. I hope he finds a good home.

Anonymous said...

Please please keep him! He looks like a croissant with bunny ears. Maybe your next 3 buns could be named Kaye, Ellen and Clooney!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

My son and daughter-in-law have been bun parents for 6 or 7 years now. The buns have the family room which they share with my son and his computers. Bun, Lily and Pearl have their own Christmas tree and presents. Every Halloween they dress up for Trick or Treat and get their own bag of goodies. They have their own cardboard castle and love to have their pics taken for their blog. http://www.ncbunny.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison